Discover one of Nice’s best kept secrets – the Bellet appellation, on the hilltops above the city, where wine has been made for well over 2,000 years.
Here you can enjoy the stunning views out over the Mediterranean Sea and north up towards the Alps, in this haven of olive trees and vines.
We’ll taste the wines of the best chateaux and family estates in the Bellet – perhaps less well known, and yet highly prized by connoisseurs, royalty and celebrities. Truly unique wines which combine strength with delicacy and reflect the particularities of altitude combined with a maritime influence.
For lunchtime you’ll get the chance to spend around two hours exploring the must-see, hilltop village of Saint-Paul de Vence – home of some of the most famous artists and best restaurants of the Cote d’Azur. After lunch, we’ll visit a tiny vineyard that too has a 2,000 year history, and today makes organic and natural wines of amazing quality and variety…. Something you will never forget.
(This programme may be altered depending on the timing of the harvest and vinification).
- 9/9.30am : Meet at your place of residence and depart for the first estate.
- 10am : Arrival at our first vineyard. An authentic and totally charming family vineyard, now managed by the next generation and who produce some of the most interesting and highly rated wines in the Bellet appellation.
A wander through in the vines and a guided tour, is followed by an exploration of the cellars and the winery where you’ll learn all about making these wines – Red, White and Rosé in a relaxed an informal way. Then we’ll have a tutored tasting of some of the latest vintages and best wines from the cellar. You may even get chance to taste some of Grandma’s home make treats and the estate’s own olive oil……..
- 11.30am : Visit the second vineyard. This chateau, truly the historic heart of the Bellet, has stunning views over the sea and mountains – and itself a fascinating history going back to La Belle Époque and before. We’ll have a guided tour and taste some of their long aged wines in the special tasting room.
- 12.30pm : Lunch break in the medieval village of Saint-Paul de Vence, where you will have time to visit its ancient, narrow streets filled with some of the best art and modern art galleries to be found anywhere.
- 3.15pm : Visit the third vineyard. At this amazing property, with a real human story and a wine history like very few others, you’ll encounter a true artist. Freed of the constraints of an appellation, this winemaker relies on ancestral methods and nature to produce some remarkable bottles in very limited quantities
- 5.30pm : Return to our point of departure.